- Stephanie Willing
Best Reads of 2020
For me, unlike many commuters, staying home due to the pandemic allowed me to get more reading in. I was never very good about reading on the subway or listening to podcasts. I'd sit there and people watch, or listen to my same old playlists over and over again. The restlessness of being home and bored (and often on toddler duty) got me back in the habit of having a book in my hand or within arm's reach more often than before. While I'm still not reading fast enough to keep up with all the books I buy (save me from myself!), I still got some quality reading in.
And I'm lucky, of course, that as an audiobook narrator I'm required to read almost every day. I'm extra lucky that usually I love the books I record. In no particular order, here are my favorite reads from 2020. Asterisk denotes that I narrated it as well. 1. Piranesi by Susannah Clarke
2. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (this one completely transported me out of pandemic land)
3. The Night Garden by Polly Horvath*
4. Rogue Heart by Axie Oh
5. The Paris Project by Donnna Gephart*
6. Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills*
7. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
8. Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms
9. Waking the Witch by Pam Grossman
10. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
I have a huge TBR pile (doesn't every writer?) and I've made a New Year's resolution to have quiet time every night before going to bed, so I'm actually hoping to make a dent in it this year. Good luck to you and all your reading and writing endeavors!